Whether you’re an eBook aficionado, an aspiring writer, or ar just trying to get a handle on all of your eBooks across all of your devices the open-source Calibre program is your solution. You can manage your library, sync your files to virtually every device you’ve got, and even convert eBook formats.
Calibre is free to download for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux systems. You can get it HERE.
While relatively glacial in pushing updates, Kovid Goyal has now updated this excellent program twice in a month!
Calibre started life on 31 October, 2006, soon after the release of the SONY PRS-500, the first e-ink based reader to be sold commercially in the US. At the time, I was a graduate student, with a lot of time on my hands. The PRS-500 did not work at all with Linux, my operating system of choice, so I decided to reverse engineer the USB protocol that it used, to get it working on Linux. This was accomplished with the help of the fine folks over at mobileread.com and calibre was born, albeit named libprs500.
- When doing searches or switching between virtual libraries in the main book list, preserve the current book. The currently selected book will remain visible if it is present in the results of the search or the selected virtual library.
- Drivers for Oppo Find 5 and PocketBook Mini 515
- DOCX Input: Handle numbered paragraphs where the numbering is specified in the paragraph style, instead of on the paragraph directly. Also support the use of arbitrary, styled text for bullets.
- DOCX Input: Fix a single line break at the end of a paragraph not being rendered as a blank line.
- DOCX Input: Fix extra top/bottom margins around headings when the heading style in word does not specify any top/bottom margins.
- DOCX Input: Handle images in footnotes and endnotes.
- ODT Input: Only treat the first image as a cover if it is of suitable size, instead of any image in the document.
- Book polishing: Do not leave behind the old comments when updating metadata if the comments have been deleted in calibre.
- PDF Output: Fix non-breaking space characters incorrectly rendered in PDF outline.
- Content server: Fix error in opds feed after using virtual libraries in the main server.
- Do not scroll the book list horizontally after editing metadata.
- New database backend: Handle databases that contain multiple tags/series/publishers/etc. that differ only in case.
New news sources
- Caravan Magazine by Kovid Goyal
- Phys Org by Krittika Goyal
Improved news sources
- Harvard Business Review
- Jakarta Post
- Jakarta Globe
- Dilema Veche
- Daily Express
- High Country News